Hi, I’m Puja. I’m the Developer Advocate of Giant Swarm, a IaaS startup based in Cologne, and a researcher at University of Cologne, where I research topics like entrepreneurship, venture capital, and diversity as well as supply chain and cyber security – specialized on network science. I taught classes on social media, electronic business, and entrepreneurship in and outside of university.
Starting out as a developer for a startup in 2004, I worked in and mentored various startups and intrapreneurial teams in Germany, China, and Iran since. Deeply involved in local and international startup ecosystems, I organize and speak at events like StartupWeekend, European Pirate Summit, NEXT, and Leancamp. Currently I’m also a startup mentor at Chinaccelerator and AvaTech Accelerator. Furthermore, I’m an external expert to the European Commission on matters innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Tim A. Majchrzak, Stephanie Wolf, and Puja Abbassi, “Comparing the Capabilities of Mobile Platforms for Business App Development” (29th November 2015). Information Systems: Development, Applications, Education
- Olav Spiegel, Puja Abbassi, Matthäus Zylka, Daniel Schlagwein, Kai Fischbach, and Detlef Schoder, “Business model development, founders’ social capital and the success of early stage internet start-ups: a mixed-method study” (26th May 2015). Information Systems Journal.
- Olav Spiegel, Puja Abbassi, Matthäus Zylka, Oliver Posegga, Kai Fischbach, Daniel Schlagwein, and Detlef Schoder, “Getting Boundary Conditions Right: Towards a Classification of the Information Economy Sectors”. 2014 Academy of Management Annual Meeting (no proceedings).
- Olav Spiegel, Puja Abbassi, Matthäus Zylka, Daniel Schlagwein, Kai Fischbach, and Detlef Schoder, “The Impact of Structural Embeddedness on Funding Success of Early Stage Web Startups”. DiBME 2013 (no proceedings).
- Puja Abbassi, Martin Kaul, Vivek Mohan, Yi Shen, and Zev Winkelman, “Securing the Net: Global Governance in the Digital Domain” (September 2013).
- Puja Abbassi, “A Chain is Just as Strong as its Weakest Link – A Call for Better Education in Cyber Security” (12th June 2013). Global Policy.
- Olav Spiegel, Puja Abbassi, Daniel Schlagwein, and Kai Fischbach, “Going It All Alone In Web Entrepreneurship? A Comparison of Single Founders vs. Co-Founders“. Proceedings of the 2013 ACM Conference on Computers and People Research.
- Olav Spiegel, Puja Abbassi, Kai Fischbach, Johannes Putzke, and Detlef Schoder, “Social Capital in the ICT Sector – A Network Perspective on Executive Turnover and Startup Performance” (December 6, 2011). ICIS 2011 Proceedings. Paper 6.
- 2013 – 2014: TA for “Selected Issues in Information Systems” at University of Cologne
- The two sides of Social Media in practice – Social Media Management and Social Media Monitoring & Analytics
- 2012 – 2014 : TA for “Electronic Business” at University of Cologne
- 2011 – 2012 : TA for “Information System Management” at University of Cologne
- 2012: Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Electronic Commerce